New Heights 2015 will be held the evening of October 22 and all day October 23. This year’s presenter will be Geoff Hart. His presentation is called “Instructional Design: Designing Documents That People Really Want to Read and Use.”
Designing Documents that People Really Read and Use
Words. Pictures. Which ones should we use? How do we use them? How can we combine them? It’s all so confusing! What’s a technical communicator to do? Well for one thing, come learn about this instructional design subject from Geoff Hart.
Date: Friday, October 23, 2015
Location: Innovate Calgary (formerly CTI), 3553 – 31 Street NW, Calgary (Alastair Ross Technology Centre) (map)
Time: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
About the Presenter
Geoff Hart has reputedly been telling tales (sometimes ending up in considerable trouble thereby) since he was 6, but he took nearly 25 years to realize that he could earn a living at this trade. Since 1987, he’s worked as a technical writer and scientific editor for IBM, the Canadian Forest Service, and the Forest Engineering Research Institute of Canada. Geoff specializes in authors who have English as a second language. He also does technical writing and French translation.
Since 2004, he’s been a freelancer (and only occasionally stops complaining about his boss). He claims to have survived at least two bouts of leading or managing publications groups with only a minor need for ongoing therapy. He has published over 400 non-fiction articles on communication, as well as the books Effective Onscreen Editing and Writing for Science Journals.
Geoff is a Fellow of the Society for Technical Communication (www.stc.org). He says that he spends an altogether unreasonable amount of time mentoring colleagues.
His training is in plant ecology and plant physiology, which continue to fascinate him. In his spare time, he has committed three science fictional novels and a short story collection. Visit him online at www.geoff-hart.com.
Past New Heights Workshops
- New Heights 2014 – “Getting Your Small Business Started” Presenter: Katherine (Kit) Brown-Hoekstra.
- New Heights 2013 - “Goal-directed Audience Analysis: Who’s Using your Content?” Presenter: Judith L. Glick-Smith.
- New Heights 2012 – “New Heights: “Modern Editing: Improving Product Quality.” Presenter: Linda Oestreich.
- New Heights 2011 – “The Treasure and the Hunt: Content as an Extension of User Experience.” Presenter: Rahel Anne Bailie.
- New Heights 2010 – “Instructional Design.” Presenter: Bernard Aschwanden.