We are a geographic community of the Society for Technical Communication (STC), a worldwide association dedicated to the advancement of the theory and practice of technical communication in all its facets. The STC Alberta Chapter represents technical communicators within Alberta, Saskatchewan, and the Northwest Territories.
Our membership includes writers, editors, documentation specialists, translators, business analysts, multimedia artists, online Help developers, graphic designers, instructional designers, website designers, and more. Our community represents independent consultants, contractors, employees, managers, educators, and students in the field of technical communication.
Last Year’s Highlights
We kept up pace with previous years and saw several major accomplishments:
- Winning the Pacesetter Award.
- We’ve had successful Social Media expansion with Twitter and LinkedIn. In fact, in 2013, we were number 72 (up from 109 in 2012) out of 400 of Twitter’s top influencers.
- Our LinkedIn Group is maintaining a steady pace of growth with regular increases in membership. Originally it was an open group, but now it’s moderated to ensure no one unrelated to our field joins.
- Encouraging membership by highlighting numerous benefits; in 2012, our membership peaked at 155 and we’re working to build it up even more!
- Our JobLink has seen good activity in job postings, with efforts to increase the amount of jobs in cities other than Edmonton and Calgary.
- Added numerous new volunteers throughout the year including additional program managers, and a steady rotation of new copy editors on the newsletter team.
- And we’ve been busy with even more; see the entire list.